One of the most popular and best-selling bike intercoms on the market, the critically acclaimed Midland BTX 1 Pro, now has a new look and features.
If you want to know its changes, keep reading and find out what’s new.
Midland BTX 1 Pro S: Full Review
In summer 2019 the Italian company wanted to make a significant upgrade to the BTX family models, keeping BTX1 and BTX2 Pro still on the market only in the Hi-Fi version (i.e. with Superbass earphones), and in fact increasing your chances to find the right intercom for your needs.
Now you are spoilt for choice.
Why choose Midland BTX1 Pro S
Midland BTX 1 Pro S is the evolution of one of the most appreciated and popular intercoms in the past years.
Like its predecessor, it can manage both incoming and outgoing calls, connect to a GPS to receive directions and finally listen and share music.
Now let’s discuss the news; besides the addition of the S in the name, we find:
- A slightly revamped design, the middle button now has a curved shape that allows it to be instantly identifiable, making it easy to use while riding.
- The option to connect in conference mode up to 3 users, the only intercom in its category to achieve this, to date.
- An increase in range of approximately 800m.
- Simultaneous connection with two mobile phones.
With these great news, the throne of best intercom price ratio, at Midland, goes straight to the new BTX 1 Pro S.
It is still a completely waterproof bike intercom (IPX6 certified), essential if even the rain can’t stop your bike hunger.
Like its predecessor, having virtually the same identical structure, you can install it on any helmet with great ease.
What you will find in the box
Inside the Midland BTX1 Pro S box you will find:
- BTX1 PRO S control unit
- A hard case carrying case
- A hooking/unhooking system for the bi-adhesive control unit
- Velcro set
- “Wired” microphone (for full-face helmet)
- Boom microphone (for modular and jet helmets)
- Hi-Fi earphones
- USB charging cable
- USB AC adapter
Midland BTX 1 Pro S significantly increases its range compared to the previous model, more than doubled with its 800m compared to the previous 300m.
This makes BTX 1 Pro S a decent intercom for bike-to-bike communications and no longer just between rider and passenger.
Like the whole BT family, BTX 1 Pro S is a universal intercom (very important if your friend has an intercom from a different brand).
BTX1 Pro S’s sound quality is excellent, one of the best we’ve tested.
The sound is crystal clear and crisp well over 120 – 130 km/h, you’ll be surprised how effective the DNK (Digital Noise Killer) system is in suppressing the noise from your conversations, whether it’s over the phone or between companions.
Here we come to the only “drawback” of this wonderful update, the battery.
BTX 1 Pro S has a battery life of about 23 hours well below the 30 hours of the previous model, but we can say completely fair given the several upgrades.
It is still one of the longest lasting batteries on the market.
Main characteristics and features
- Audio quality: excellent up to over 120 – 130 km/h
- Communication range: 800m
- Number of connected users: 3
- Communication type: Conference for up to 3 people
- Battery life: up to 23h talk time
- Universal Intercom: yes
- Radio FM: yes
- Automatig gain control (AGC): yes
- Digital Noise Killer: yes
- VOX Technology: yes
- Helmet compatibility: universal
- Compatible with BMW, DUCATI, KTM connectivity systems: yes
- Waterproof: yes (IPX6)
Pros & Cons
- Option to communicate with passenger and other user in conference mode
- Option to connect 2 mobile phones simultaneously
- 800m range
- Research, development, engineering, design … all rigorously made in Italy, as well as support.
- Battery life slightly shorter compared to its previous model
Who it is intended for
If I would recommend the BTX1 Pro mainly to those who want to talk only with their passenger, with this update, the BTX1 Pro S becomes a great choice if you are looking for an intercom that allows you to speak with your fellow passengers.
Still remains, if not the best, one of the top intercoms for quality/price ratio on the market.
You can install the Midland BTX1 PRO S intercom on any type of helmet: full face, modular, jet.
Using the instructions below, you can install the intercom in just a couple of steps:
How to fit the intercom on your helmet
In this video you will learn how to fit Midland BTX1 PRO S on your helmet.
How to pair multiple intercoms
In this video you’ll learn how to pair two or more intercoms with smartphone or GPS.
How to set up music sharing
Find out how to set up the BTX1 Pro’s music sharing feature in a few simple steps.
Although Midland BTX1 Pro S‘s price increase, it is, in our opinion, absolutely coherent with Midland’s intercom quality and reliability.